« Home | Welcome to me! » | The Moviegoer » 

Friday, July 07, 2006 

// Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

Right. I'm not posting this to urge an those straggling (Zack, basically), but merely to provide a place for any thoughts/comments on the book.

Some links:

"The Ecotheology of Annie Dillard," by Pam Smith

Annie's vanilla site

"Ideas are tough; irony is easy," by Grach Suh

"Lunch with Annie Dillard," by Malcolm Lawrence

Okay, I have started Pilgrim and feel that anyone who wants to should start a discussion topic and I (and everyone else) shall jump in whenever they feel like.

I've just been having trouble working 40 hours a week and finding time to read thoughtfully and not just watch tv. Jason, I don't know how you do it. Anyway, I'm not a huge Dillard fan, but I'm going to give Pilgrim a fair chance. Peace.

Oh, and I'll make sure to post something before I leave for Cuba (if we get to go). Later.

I must agree Luke, though I am nowhere near finishing the book, Dillard is one of the most difficult authors to discuss and you put the reasoning into the best words possible. People ask you what the book was about, and my mind races feeling like I haven't actually read anything, leaving me speechless and waving my arms up and down like the kid in "Angels in the Outfield." I must admit that I'm not a huge Dillard fan, but I'm giving her a fair chance and want to continue to do so as I keep reading.

The thing is that this mood and "neoplatonic Christianity" is something that, I guess, just doesn't push my buttons. Some people get a lot out of it, like Luke, that's all well and dandy. I feel that she makes everyday and natural and spiritual observations by tying them all together, but it's never with a neat little ribbon at the top. There's a lot to sift through with her, but she does it in a beautiful and mysterious way that does occasionally leave me breathless.

Well, I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking about Pilgrim, especially since I lived with Luke and knew what to expect from that interesting little brain of his. Later.

This is the first Dillard book I've read (I know, I somehow came out of Geneva with 10 Lit. classes under my arm and I hadn't read any Dillard-- how did that happen?). I find her style simultaniously frustrating and miraculous. What I really admire, though, is her unceasing playfulness. It's seeped into every page, every word. I really, really admire that.

I gleened a lot from Pilgrim. Her sense of wonder and awe at the majestic, horror and overwhelming nuances of creation really got to me. The bit about how children are more observant was right on (Matt. 18 came to mind as I soaked this in).

Zach, even if you're not a fan of her writing, look past that and catch what she's saying. I didn't always follow her (or agree), but she hits the nail on the head frequently.

Where oh where did my picture of Annie go?

Totally, Eric. I've been an outdoorsy-type most of my life (an Eagle scout, as well), but it was Berry and Dillard (in that order) that really woke me up to the wonders of Creation. I'm scared especially when I drive, since I now tend to oogle at hills and forests and not pay attention to the road.

I made sure to order a few copies of this in for my bookstore, and now have a little Dillard area.

Now that I have finished Pilgrim and have read all the things you guys have written, I must admit that I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to. As everyone has been talking about, her view of nature, creation, and their relationship to God is brooding, complicated, and not afraid to ask the strange or hard questions. I was on the plane to Cuba when I was reading this and the importance and sense of nature stuck with me as with drove through the countryside of that beautiful and quite different country.

Her allusions to scripture, but also to literature, science, etc. changed the way that I think about reading and writing. It's okay to draw from such a wide pool of ideas and make round about conclusions, which as Eric said always tends to catch us by surprise by the end of the chapter.

Anyway, my view and opinion of Dillard has greatly improved over what it was before. Thank God for her writing. I have finished with The Lone Ranger and Tonto, so whenever you want to start go ahead. Or maybe I'll do a little thinking and throw up the intitial post, we'll see. Peace.

Post a Comment

// Our Mission

    To facilitate discussion on poetry, novels, and essays in an effort to better know and understand the world that God has given us, and to better understand God Himself: to "violate the eternal."

// Previous posts

// Archives

// Interested In Joining?

// Reading Calendar:

    The Moviegoer: Walker Percy

    Pilgrim at Tinker Creek: Annie Dillard

    The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven: Sherman Alexie

    Everything That Rises Must Converge: Flannery O'Connor

    Godric: Frederick Bruechner

    The Gambler: Fyodor Dostoevsky

    The Rum Diary: Hunter S. Thompson

    The Fall: Albert Camus

    The Stranger: Albert Camus

    The Power and the Glory: Graham Greene