« Home 

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 

// The Moviegoer

Since we're all (hopefully) into the Moviegoer, I thought I would post. We can use the comment space to discuss, toss out ideas, opinions, thoughts. If anyone feels boggled by some of Percy's prose, there are some great resources on the internet; just do a search for Percy and follow various rabbit trails through link sections.

Binx is definitely stuck in the Kierkegaardian pattern of repetition; rinse, wash, repeat. The only thing that interrupts the cycle is the Search (and, probably as a result, moments of beauty and truth).

I know Percy was a idiological student of Kierkegaard, and since I'm not exactly the most knowledgable person on Existentialism, I'm sure I'm missing some points. It's also worth mentioning that--as I've read in several places--that Percy was also huge into semiotics, ala Umberto Eco. I'm sure there are countless "signs" we're missing, so if anyone spots them, let the rest of us know!

I feel sort of out-gunned by the smart folks here. I don't have much to add, but I did catch a whiff of criticism, specifically at the "post-Christian" world's worldview. The generation was filled with young(er) people that didn't have their parents'--or grandparents'--beliefs, but still cling (maybe unwillingly) to older generation's set of morals. Maybe out of habit.

I thought I also caught the critique extending to the characters' belief in "science" and "business," but since I loathe to underline things in books, I'll probably never be albe to find what I'm looking for.

I had to re-read several sections; Percy sometimes derailed my train of thought. I still found his style VERY enjoyable. I want to compare it to Flannery O'Connor, though a little more warped and sinisterly funny than O'Connor. Maybe it's that whole "Southern Catholic writer" thing.

As Luke said, I couldn't really related to any of the characters (other than William Holden...ha!). Binx's cynicism (sadly) reminded me of myself in a few spots, but that's about it. Relating to one of my previous comments, there will always be people like Binx and Kate, and the "post-Christian" dilemma is still prominent in our culture. And, instead of answering your question on who is a moviegoer, I'll mention this: ever notice that all of the movies Binx sees are shallow, at best? He says he's a seeker, but the film he seems to take in the most is the most unrepresentative of the real world.

I would just to let you all know that I am in fact still breathing; however, I have fallen behind in the reading schedule, my own fault.

I'm going to try to band through the rest of The Moviegoer, just to finish and be on top of things with Tinker. Later and God Bless.

Post a Comment

// Our Mission

    To facilitate discussion on poetry, novels, and essays in an effort to better know and understand the world that God has given us, and to better understand God Himself: to "violate the eternal."

// Previous posts

// Archives

// Interested In Joining?

// Reading Calendar:

    The Moviegoer: Walker Percy

    Pilgrim at Tinker Creek: Annie Dillard

    The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven: Sherman Alexie

    Everything That Rises Must Converge: Flannery O'Connor

    Godric: Frederick Bruechner

    The Gambler: Fyodor Dostoevsky

    The Rum Diary: Hunter S. Thompson

    The Fall: Albert Camus

    The Stranger: Albert Camus

    The Power and the Glory: Graham Greene